- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with rack in center. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan, and line the bottom with parchment or wax paper. Coat paper with butter. Set aside.
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine the butter and unsweetened chocolate, and place over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until completely melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk in sugar, espresso powder, vanilla, and eggs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture, and stir until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly wet, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely. Remove from pan. Using a damp, warm knife, cut into 16 squares, wiping knife blade after each cut. Peel off parchment paper and serve.
Over All Review: 4.5/10 ...but note that this is just from my taste.
It tasted alright, and was more than edible, it just didn't suit my taste. If you love dark chocolate and the somewhat bitter taste of coffee you will LOVE and ADORE this recipe. If not, you will still like it...I would just recommend trying another brownie recipe, like this one ;)