Related Posts with Thumbnails

Martha's Cappuccino Brownies




I made these brownies a little while ago when I found the recipe on Martha Stewart’s website. I was pretty excited about it because the idea of coffee and brownies was quite intriguing. I was, however, left a tad disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, its not a ‘bad’ brownie recipe, in fact its probably pretty good for some people (which is why im sharing it). The brownie was bit too heavy for my liking, I was expecting something a bit lighter and more chocolaty with a hint of mocha flavor, but the mocha was very dominating. It was also a bit bitter, not the icky bitter, but the dark chocolaty dark coffee sort of bitter that I personally don’t like but I know for a fact that others ADORE.




 This was really rich, like you could probably only eat one square with a cup of tea or coffee, so I thought it would be neat to ‘package’ them up accordingly! :)




Sorry about the quick post, I wasn’t feeling to brilliant today (im blogging from bed). Hopefully ill get better by tomorrow so I can post another entry. Also, I’m currently working on a new layout which is taking way longer than I anticipated, but should be up by the end of the week. Also, my mini series on Persian cuisine should be debuting soon, so come back soon! :)




Martha's Cappuccino Brownies:

Ingredients

Makes 16
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
  • 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with rack in center. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan, and line the bottom with parchment or wax paper. Coat paper with butter. Set aside.
  2. In a large heatproof bowl, combine the butter and unsweetened chocolate, and place over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until completely melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk in sugar, espresso powder, vanilla, and eggs.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture, and stir until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Pour into pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly wet, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely. Remove from pan. Using a damp, warm knife, cut into 16 squares, wiping knife blade after each cut. Peel off parchment paper and serve.

     


Over All Review: 4.5/10 ...but note that this is just from my taste.
It tasted alright, and was more than edible, it just didn't suit my taste. If you love dark chocolate and the somewhat bitter taste of coffee you will LOVE and ADORE this recipe. If not, you will still like it...I would just recommend trying another brownie recipe, like this one ;)


Memória  – (February 17, 2010 at 6:39 PM)  

Well for not feeling too brilliant, you have posted some beautiful brownies! Wow. Too bad they weren't to your liking, though.

P.S. How did you create that banner with the series of your photos? I would love to do that!

Michael  – (February 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM)  

Two of my favorites combined into one, cappuccino and brownies! Thank you very much for sharing this great recipe to us. I tried making this yesterday and it really tasted good. I have tried making brownies in the past, but I always end up cooking up a hard brownie. Thanks you your recipe, I finally made the perfect brownie. I also went really well with a cup of coffee great post!

M.  – (February 18, 2010 at 2:34 AM)  

I made brownies recently myself and I'm still craving more...these look delicious, I love adding coffee to brownies, it makes them more chewy, nice photos.

Post a Comment

Random Fun Stuff

Song of the week: Glee Season 2!!

Watching: Criminal Minds season 6 (man! its mind blowing)

Inspirational Quote:

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself"

Random Foodie Fact:

"The world's first chocolate candy was produced in 1828 by Dutch chocolate-maker Conrad J. Van Houten."

Privacy Policy (c) edible-moments 2010

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP