Related Posts with Thumbnails

Marshmallows






Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to thee the new and revamped Edible Moments! With the same great recipes and your favorites still all in one place, but with a prettier and more user-friendly layout! 


Now step right up my dear laddie, for you are part of the lucky few chosen to be given a private tour! Now if you look on up to the wee banner up there you will see a picture of a yummy cup of hot chocolate which is what we will get into later today. The banner will be changing about 4 times a year to fit with the 4 seasons…amazing no? ( I decided to just make my own layout...after searching for days and days and sifting through thousands of layouts...I decided...if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself ;))


**BEFORE I GO ANY FURTHER…I could use your guys’ help…anyone know how to add an extra column on the side?:/ let me know…I will love you forever :D


Now follow me on over to the little bar underneath. Right over here ladies, come on now, don’t be shy! As you can see there is a new “about me” section, which has an ACCURATE not at all fibbed or tailed account of my life story(check it out for a chuckle ;) ), followed by a contact me page and my tasting guide which is a rating system to help all of you ladies and germs follow how I rate each recipe.


Alright now, for the final part of our tour there is the side bar on your right. Now if you haven’t already (cant imagine why not!;)) then either subscribe to my blog via the email subscription OR by scrolling down a bit more and becoming a follower!(or do both!)


Now scroll down a lil more till you see a little picture of a blue little bird that says follow me. Click on her and follow me on twitter. Go on. Do it. I’ll wait right here till you’ve done it.
* waits *
**whistles**
**checks watch**
**waits some more**
Alrighty then! All done? Good. Now, on to this here Marshmallow Recipe:



Home made Marshmallows
From Food Network
Marshmallows are one of the simplest confections to make. They take advantage of gelatins ability to set under just about any conditions. In this case the gelatin incorporates air as it stiffens yielding a fluffy, light marshmallow. By caramelizing the sugar base, the familiar flavour of campfire toasting is built in... Timing Hints: Marshmallows can be made a week in advance and refrigerated. Makes 24 large marshmallows. Yields 6 (source)

The recipe made me think it wouldn't make too many but it made A LOT of marshmallows...like ...a LOT. I filled a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan nearly to the top and had enough to fill up another pan too! So I think they either enjoy GINORMOUS marshmallows or they made a typo.

Ingredients
* 4 packages gelatin ( I used 4 tablespoons of Gelatin instead)
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 1/2 cups corn syrup
* 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
* 1 pinch salt

Directions


1. In a small bowl sprinkle the gelatin powder over ½ cup of the water. Place the sugar and the remaining one-cup of the water in a pot and heat until warm to the touch. Add the gelatin mixture to the warm syrup and stir until fully melted.

2. Pour the gelatin syrup mixture into the bowl of a large stand mixer (i.e. Hobart or KitchenAid) fitted with a whip. Add the corn syrup and vanilla and begin beating at high speed. You may find it useful to cover the bowl with plastic wrap while it beats to keep down the splatter.
**DON'T BE WORRIED! When I first started stirring it creeped me out enough to the point of almost throwing it out cause I thought it had gone wrong. at first the mixture was this icky brown color (because of the corn syrup) but after you beat it a LONG time it turns white :) )

3. Continue beating until the mixture cools, increases in volume, and forms soft peaks. Working quickly before the mixture fully sets in the bowl transfer to either a standard hotel pan dusted with powdered sugar for later cutting into cubes or transfer to a piping bag fitted with a straight tip and pipe mounds onto a non stick surface such as a silpat mat dusted with powdered sugar.


My Instructions for cutting/handling marshmallows:
I found that after they set the marshmallows were REALLY STICKY and wouldnt peel off the sides without ripping. I used an offset spatula to carefully poke at the sides while pulling the wax paper and the marshmallow started pulling itself back and it worked perfectly :)


Also for cutting I would reccomend using a big knife and not 'sawing' through it but just applying pressure down ONCE. Then carefully pick up the slice of marshmallow....they tend to stretch back into themselves providing a perfect cut.


I also found it helps to rub in a bit of icing sugar on the 'sticky sides' until its not so sticky...making it easier to handle :)


Dont forget to rub the cut up sides in icing sugar too!

Review of Recipe:
I would give this a jaw dropping 8.5 – a rare high rating for me;)
I really loved how it tasted. I usually hate how store bought marshamllows taste, so dry and overly chewy…*blegh* but this…THIS is how marshamllows are SUPPOSED to taste like. The best part about it is that its SO easy to make! I was actually really surprised by it…like…REALLY surprised. I would give this a 9 because it’s the best marshmallows I ever tasted, but they kinda stuck to everything a little too much before they were dusted with sugar…so when that’s fixed ill give it a 9.

I also love, love, love, LOVE how the marshmallows actually MELT in your hot chocolate! (as opposed to those store bough brands)



Adriana  – (February 21, 2010 at 1:00 AM)  

Hi!
I just found your blog through a comment you left on another bog.
Just wanted to say that your pictures are beautiful, and that you've got a new reader in me!
And. . .I have the same problem with my blog and columns. (I started a new one yesterday). Except I don't want an extra column. I have no idea if I can fix it, or if it is possible to fix it. (I have three columns)!

Gala  – (February 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM)  

Damn! My memory is worth nothing- I can't remember the previous layout of your blog but I'm sure loving this one!

I've tried making marshmallows before and I ended up with melty squares. So I have a marshmallow fear to conquer!

Sakorarox  – (February 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM)  

@ Adriana - aww thanks hun! :) And thats hilarious.... we always want what we dont have! ;) (in this case i want a column and you dont want one) LOL

@ Gala - lol! it was the light pink one? which had 4 pictures at the top? ring any bells? lol it was just too busy for my liking :P

and i know what you mean! Thats what scared me for so long in to not making them....then when I did...I was like what was I so afraid of? One thing I noticed though was that you need to refrigerate it for a LOT longer than they suggested....I did it for over 24 hrs! (lucky i made 2 pans and just ate the other one with a spoon while I waited :D)

Lucy  – (February 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM)  

Your blog layout is so pretty and elegant - I love the seasonal changing banner at the top. These marshmallows look fabulous - proper melty :)

Jennifer  – (February 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM)  

STUNNING photos!!!! Your marshmallows look insanely delightful!

Andrea  – (February 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM)  

Hi. I found your blog through the help section on payperpost. I read your first post and to answer your question about adding another column, you can't! It's simply the design of the template you're using, so unless you know how to write code and redo the template design code, you'll have to choose a template that has three columns. I have a few different sites, and interesting enough, the only site I ever get offers on through payperpost is my blogspot site, so who knows how they choose the blogs they make offers to.

Andrea

RealFitMama  – (February 21, 2010 at 4:56 PM)  

I'm curious (as I am a vegetarian) is there any way to make marshmallows without gelatin?? I rarely eat anything with it as an ingredient (hard to avoid sometimes) but would LOVE to make homemade marshmallows for my girls!

Memória  – (February 21, 2010 at 4:59 PM)  

This is a beautiful layout. Congrats. I love the font used in the post and comments section.

I had a little trouble looking for the link to input a comment. I think the link should be active on "Post a comment", but it isn't. Instead, I had to click on the number of comments you had to get to this page. Aside from that, it looks fantastic as do the marshmallows.

Sakorarox  – (February 21, 2010 at 5:09 PM)  

@ Realfit mama - I have never used it but I know for a fact that there is VEGAN Gelatin...it comes from plants...

A quick google told me this:
" Gelatin (US spelling) or gelatine (British spelling) (used to make Jell-o and other desserts) is made from the boiled bones, skins and tendons of animals. An alternative substance is called Agar-Agar, which is derived from seaweed. Another is made from the root of the Kuzu. Agar-Agar is sold in noodle-like strands, in powdered form, or in long blocks, and is usually white-ish in color.

Some Kosher gelatins are made with agar-agar, most are not. Some things that are vegan that are replacing gelatin are: guar gum and carrageenan. Only some 'emulsifiers' are vegan. Gelatin is used in photography. Although the technology exists to replace photographic film, its price is currently prohibitive and there is insufficient demand. Hopefully, with the growth of vegetarianism and veganism, this situation will soon change. "

Hope that helps! let me know if it DOES work with vegan :)



@ Memoria - Really its not active? thats weird:/ hmmm I'll see if I can fix it up...thanks for the heads up!:D lol

Deana Sidney  – (February 21, 2010 at 7:23 PM)  

I thought your blog was lovely... very serene and the marshmallows look perfect. I made them from scratch with marshmallow and gum tragacanth. They were originally made with that or gum arabic and both are vegetable based if that helps any!

Jamie  – (February 23, 2010 at 4:21 PM)  

I love marshmallows and these look fabulous...kudos to your developing your own layout...well done!

Post a Comment

Random Fun Stuff

Song of the week: Glee Season 2!!

Watching: Criminal Minds season 6 (man! its mind blowing)

Inspirational Quote:

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself"

Random Foodie Fact:

"The world's first chocolate candy was produced in 1828 by Dutch chocolate-maker Conrad J. Van Houten."

Privacy Policy (c) edible-moments 2010

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP