Related Posts with Thumbnails

Strawberry Mousse Cake




Hello, Hello, Hello!

I am free. free at last. Thank GOD ALMIGHTY I AM FREE AT LAST!
I am finally, finally done my essays, homework, school work, presentations, and final examinations. *sigh of relief* Its been a hell of a year, and everyone said that first year is the toughest year of all, and it really was. But alas, I am DONE FIRST YEAR OF MY BACHELOR. Damn ….. it went by fast. But I know you’re all not here to listen to me reminiscing.…you’re here for that yummy nummy looking cake up there. THAT’S right. ;)



Well the day I was done I came home (at around 4) and slept until 11am the next day. During exam time I had about 4-5 hrs of sleep a day, so after about 2 weeks of this…. I CRASHED. But then I woke up all refreshed and what’s the first thing I did when I woke up a free girl? Head into the kitchen of course ;)





At first I was just gonna make something simple…. Drop cookies…. Icebox cookies….and even *le gasp* cake mix! But then I thought, HEY I haven’t baked in SO LONG…it HURTS me….I need to make something DECENT. So I decided on a mousse cake:)



Of course it is never that easy, and it really wasn’t. all the recipes I would find all had missing ingredients or complex methods etc… so I sort of made this one up as I went, and to be honest, best thing I’ve ever ‘invented’ !





The sponge cake is from a recipe I tried a while back (which I now LOVE after this cake) and the mousse is an adaptation from 3 (yes count em 3) different recipes. The strawberries on the side were inspiration from google (only I saw kiwis) and the chocolate topping was a last minute result of me being too lazy to make a strawberry jelly topping.



Aight, so I’ll shut up now and go on with the recipe!;) and *le gasp again*, I took detailed pictures along the process (felt I needed to make up for the lack of baking posts ;))
Ingredients:
To make the cake you need: a spring form pan, strawberries for decorating, one sponge cake recipe, one mousse cake recipe.



**ALSO: if you’re like me, and would rather NOT buy self-raising flour, you can substitute quite successfully like so: for each cup of "self-rising" flour that you need, use instead: 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Do what I did, and put it into a container to use for the next recipe that calls it!(since you only need 1/3 cup) Alright. Ill shut up now and give you the recipe. Honest. Zip.

Sponge Cake:
4 Eggs
⅔ cup Caster sugar
⅓ cup Cornstarch
⅓ cup Plain flour
⅓ cup Self-raising flour

Steps:

Have eggs at room temperature. Beat whole eggs with electric mixer until thick and creamy (this is THE MOST important part….beat them like there is no tomorrow! This is when the love for Kitchen aid mixers comes in); beating time on a moderately high speed should be about 7 mins.



Add sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved.



While eggs and sugar are beating, prepare pans by greasing evenly ; and sift dry ingredients together 3 times, to aerate and mix the flours.
When sugar is dissolved, sift the flours over the egg mixture, use a spatula to lightly fold the flours through**; heavy handling at this stage will give a flat, tough sponge. Spread mixture evenly into pan, and bake ***

** Make sure you mix well (but not over mix) what I found amusing about this recipe was that the egg mixture was SO light, that the flour fell right through to the bottom! I thought I had finished mixing it in…and ran one final spatula turn from underneath the batter and all the flour came back up! Beware!
*** The recipe didn’t state a bake temp or time, so I just did 350 for about 30 min… but don’t take my word for it….bake with caution ;)



Then, for the mousse!
Ingridients:
Strawberry Mousse:
300 g fresh strawberries
100 g water
160 g caster sugar
4 tsp powdered gelatin
400 g cream

Wash and hull the strawberries and place in a sauce pan. Add the water, caster sugar, and gelatin and simmer until all the gelatin dissolves. Cool the mixture and blend the mixture in a blender or food processor until the mixture is pureed.



Beat the cream in a separate bowl until just thickened, not soft or stiff peaks! Be careful not to overbeat the cream which will result in a stiff mousse. Fold in the strawberry puree mixture and mix until well blended. **don’t make the mistake I did….make SURE the puree is cold cold before adding to cream, else it will start melting!




Assembley:
Take the same springform pan you used to bake the cake (all clean by now) and grease the sides VERY lightly with any vegetable oil…im not sure its necessary…but when your winging it….you want to make sure your hard work doesn’t get stuck to the pan! Then align your freshly cut strawberries around the side like so:



Then place one layer of cake, and cover it with a bit of mousse, making sure to fill it up tightly to the sides. Apply the second layer of sponge cake, and apply the rest of the mousse. Refrigerate and/or freeze until the mousse IS FIRM. RESIST the temptation…don’t be horrible like me and try to unwrap your baby before she’s ready ;)

You can also dip some strawberries in chocolate for an added flair...



I topped it off with some melted chocolate….which Im not to proud of….obviously it was impossible to cut through…but alas…that’s what happens when you just wing things….



But the final result was worth EVER LAST BITE. My god. Definitely top 5 best things ive ever baked, if not THE BEST. It was pretty difficult for me to do cause I tried to wing it and do it all in one day while trying to figure out WHAT to do along the way (plus popping out to go buy strawberries etc) haha…twas quite the scene….the kitchen a mess….bowls and cups everywhere….sticky strawberries sauce all over me….me standing in the middle of kitchen going wtf do I do next??!?!?!? LOL



but now that I HAVE the recipe, it should be easy peasy to do! I would recommend making the sponge cake the night before, and whipping your cream to. Then just put it all together the day later.



But alas, all in all, I was very satisfied and happy with the end result, and will DEFINETLY be making it again! Im uber excited to try different flavor….blueberry…raspberry….white chocolate…. Mango…Mmmmm:)






Well that’s all for now! Till next time …Chow! ;)


P.S. If you DO end up making this, post me a link, I'd LOVE to see your twist on things... :)

Elyse  – (April 23, 2009 at 3:00 AM)  

Talk about a stellar comeback! Congrats on being done!! What a wonderful feeling that must be. So glad you've gotten back into the kitchen. Your first recipe back looks to be a HUGE success. Talk about delicious!! I wish I could have a big slice of this right now!

Finla  – (April 23, 2009 at 7:32 AM)  

Wow wo the cake looks so so delicious.
Wish i could make such delicious beautiful cakes.

Digigirl  – (April 23, 2009 at 11:44 AM)  

Wow, that is gorgeous! Great "just winging it" recipe. You're an inspiration! Congrats on finishing your year.

Sara  – (April 23, 2009 at 2:13 PM)  

wow! this looks really delicious. i like mousse cakes at restaurants but i have never attempted one at home. i got a springform pan recently, so i should totally try this one, especially since it's strawberry season! yum. :)

Sakorarox  – (April 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM)  

Thanks a lot everyone! :)and you should def try this one sara! Let me know if you do!:)

Brilynn  – (April 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM)  

Sounds like a great way to end exams! Everything should be so sweet.

Siri  – (April 26, 2009 at 3:48 PM)  

Gorgeous! Looks like a really fancy, but not too heavy kind of cake- perfect now that strawberry season is coming up.

A great cake to impress the in-laws.

Thanks so much for sharing!

-Siri

Jackie O –   – (April 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM)  

wow. that looks amazing! i hope to attempt to make a cake half as beautiful!

Jordan  – (April 27, 2009 at 1:08 AM)  

i don't care if you're not proud of it, the chocolate on the top looks SOOOOO good!

this cake looks amazing, as all your stuff does! ;)

Anonymous –   – (April 29, 2009 at 7:39 AM)  

hi there, congrats,how impressive!
i usually make the same mousse cake with raspberries, except that i cover it with almond crust, not chocolate...can I send you some photos? It may inspire you!!

ps: I'm French, please do not pay attention to the mistakes!!
(aaurelie.collet@hotmail.fr)

Ataylorr  – (May 7, 2009 at 1:35 AM)  

Wow that looks awesome

I was wondering how you iced the sides? And what kind of cream did you use? I think i may make this for mothers day!

Sakorarox  – (May 7, 2009 at 10:13 AM)  

hello Ataylor,

I used regular whipping cream. (its liquid when you buy it then you beat it till its stiff!)

as well as for icing the sides, thats the BEST part of the cake ;) you just spread the cream to the sides as you layer it, and let it chill. Then when you open it carefully, it has a nice smooth side!:)

GoodLuck!

Ataylorr  – (May 10, 2009 at 10:54 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ataylor –   – (May 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM)  

http://twitpic.com/4yirt

gah, I tried youre mousse recipe and it came out excellent! However, I still dont understand how you got the mousse to the sides! With the strawberries and tightness of the spring form pan, I couldnt see how to spread it to the sides without cutting the cake or something. Im perplexed.

Sakorarox  – (May 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM)  

Hey Ataylor! Oh no! Im sorry it didnt work out :/ **it looks yummy though! lol Mine fit cause my sponge cake kinda shrunk back a bit ...like 0.5 inch? so it had room to fit in....I thought everyones would do that...but I guess it didnt? hmm....maybe next time if you want to make it you could cut around the sponge cake all around it (itll get rid of all the dry outer shell of the cake too!:D)

THEN do the mousse part? then itll have more room for mousse?:) Let me know if you try it and it works!

Good Luck!

Jane  – (June 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM)  

Your strawberry mousse cake looks divine! Nice work coming up with your own fabulous recipe.

I really like your blog. Cute and funny writing style!


Jane
www.janessweets.blogspot.com

Anaisaj –   – (September 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM)  

I made this for my husband's Birthday!. Great recipe!. The combination of the flavors was great. Really smooth. I think next time I will use more strawberries for the mousse. Personally I would like the mousse to be a little stronger in flavor. Instead of melted chocolate, I made a dark chocolate ganache for the top. It work great. Thank you for a nice recipe. Definitively in my top 10 cakes.

Anonymous –   – (April 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM)  

I am aspiring to be a baker so that I can one day bake something special and actually tasty for that special someone one day! I know its very cliche of me but I also just want to learn! I love cooking so I want to kearn bakibg! And this is perfect for me to try! But since I'm new to this, how do you convert the gram measurements for the mousse into liquid measurements like cups and tblsp and stuff? Thanks so much! I cant wait to try it!

Unknown  – (August 30, 2010 at 2:11 PM)  

great recipe! last night a made a blueberry version of it! i am also going to try out the peach version of it! i loooove it!
heres what mine turned out like

http://tinypic.com/r/106j0wo/4
http://tinypic.com/r/1j6hqs/4

rugwithlegs  – (February 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM)  

I'm making the cake for the second time today. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't work right now. I'm doing four layers of cake this time. In the future, I'm playing with the idea of doing a layer of cheesecake in the middle, or some sort of brownie with chocolate mousse.

The mousse works out well. I had to do conversions, as I don't have a scale.

Instead of the solid chocolate, I usually do a number of thin threads of melted chocolate as these cut easily. I've also got a cup of grated chocolate laying around and I'll probably put whipped cream on top, then the chocolate and then cover it with sprinkles.

I've made up some recipes, but nothing like this. Thank you for posting!

rugwithlegs  – (February 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM)  

One more thing, I baked the cake the first time for 30 minutes but this time I did 20 and the spongue was still a little crunchy. I might do 15 next time.

Post a Comment

Random Fun Stuff

Song of the week: Glee Season 2!!

Watching: Criminal Minds season 6 (man! its mind blowing)

Inspirational Quote:

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself"

Random Foodie Fact:

"The world's first chocolate candy was produced in 1828 by Dutch chocolate-maker Conrad J. Van Houten."

Privacy Policy (c) edible-moments 2010

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP