Related Posts with Thumbnails

Moist Lemon Poppy Seed Cake



I apologize for the lack of posts. It almost seems like whenever I make a decision to start posting more, life swoops in and makes it so that I can not only not update more often, but that I can’t update at all! Life has been very un-cooperative as of late, and work has kept me uber busy. Allow me to outline to you my days: I wake up early at 7 late at 8 am, and scramble to catch my bus at 8:15 (you don’t want to know the craziness I go through every morning trying to get ready in 15 min) and hop onto the bus to work. I get to work at 9, and jolt myself awake with a caffeine boost, and then its work, work, work until 5 (sometimes 6). By the time I get home its 6 (sometimes 7) and I’m exhausted. So I figure I’ll take a quick break, rejuvenate, then bake something delicious, take loads of pretty pics, and then update away! What really happens: plop face first into my comfy bed with all its comfy pillows. End up accidentally falling asleep. Wake up an hour later wondering whats going on? Contemplate what I should bake. Check my email. Watch some youtube. Catch up on a TV show or two, and before I know it its midnight! :o




So then, I think to myself, on the weekend I’ll bake a BUNCH of stuff and then update throughout the week with it! Yay! Right? Nay. Every single weekend has been cloudy and rainy! EVERY. SINGLE. WEEKEND. How am I supposed to take pretty pictures without any good lighting? I swear its like life is laughing in my face. Working on files all day at work? Sure! I’ll pour in lots of beautiful sunshine and PERFECT weather. Excited for the weekend and all the baking? How about I stop the sunshine on Friday, give you thunderstorms on the weekend, and bring back the shine on Monday


The weathers a bitch. Plain and simple.




Now that I have that off my chest, on to these delicious lemon poppy seed cakes. I made them way back in January because I was getting the winter blues and need something light and ‘summery’, so I guess that would fit in quite snugly now what with all our 40C hot weather!





Moist Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

(from AllRecipes)

Ingredients

• 2 1/4 cups cake flour

• 1 1/8 cups white sugar

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest

• 4 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds

• 1 1/3 cups unsalted butter, softened

• 5 eggs

• 3/4 cup white sugar

• 3/4 cup lemon juice

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.

2. Sift together the flour, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar and salt. Then mix in the lemon peel, poppy seeds and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

4. In a saucepan over low heat; cook 3/4 cup white sugar and the lemon juice until stirring until sugar is dissolved. Let cool to just warm or to room temperature.

5. Remove the cake from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack-place a cookie sheet underneath this rack. Prick the top of the cake several times with a toothpick. Brush the top of the cake with the warm or room temperature syrup, allowing lots of the syrup to run down and soak into the sides and bottom of the cake. Cool slightly in the pan before removing the cake to the wire rack to cool completely. When completely cooled, wrap the cake in foil or plastic freezer wrap and let the cake rest at least one day before serving to your guests.

Adriana @ Bittersweet Baker  – (September 2, 2010 at 12:31 AM)  

It's too bad you're overloaded with work! I'm starting high school on Monday and I'm worried I might not have much time for my blog. Your lemon poppy seed cakes look delicious; I love the look of the mini Bundt pans.

Aaron John  – (September 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM)  

You have busy days! These cakes look so moist and light!! Great!

Jordan  – (September 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM)  

YUM! These look really good!

P.S. Don't worry about being busy at work. That will all soon be over and we'll be back at school :D Yay.....

Joudie's Mood Food  – (September 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM)  

I am so glad i came across your blog. I absolutely love it! What great dishes, and photography! I am soooo making this! Yummy!

M.  – (September 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM)  

those little cakes look so gorgeous!
I love poppy seed cakes but more often than not they do come out dry(ish).
maybe I should give this recipe a try :)

Post a Comment

Random Fun Stuff

Song of the week: Glee Season 2!!

Watching: Criminal Minds season 6 (man! its mind blowing)

Inspirational Quote:

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself"

Random Foodie Fact:

"The world's first chocolate candy was produced in 1828 by Dutch chocolate-maker Conrad J. Van Houten."

Privacy Policy (c) edible-moments 2010

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP